Its a long wordy post sprinkled with occasional pics, so settle down with a cuppa ;)
SO.....! 2013 was jam packed and went by faster than ever, it felt like last month that i was unwrapping Easter eggs! (psst Easter is around the corner once again! chocolate, woohoo!) 2013 also marked the first time i got a professional job and it was definitely an eye-opener, it was also really different to uni but i loved every moment of it. I love the field I work in and most importantly, i don't think i'll ever get sick of learning more, so i am super excited about what 2014 will bring!
my sit-stand desk version 1
A sneak peek into my desk.
i thoroughly enjoyed my "outdoor office"
2013 also saw many celebrations, myself and quite a few close friends graduated from a range of degrees, there were a few engagements and weddings and sadly also a few farewells (bye Danica, Christina and Xiao Xiao, missing you gals heaps!).
Thank You. without you girls i will not be who i am today.
a handsome pharmacist is born!
<3 my gals!
2 beautiful dietitians!
lunch @ Quay with MAAX crew
(blog post soon! i promise!)
Catch up with the MPH girls again!
Janice pigpig's bday @ Jazushi
food for 6. yes 6, not 60.
and for 4..... #enoughcaloriestofeedavillage
2013 was also a year of firsts, it was the first time i took over the front garden and turned the tiny space I had into a miniture vege patch. i never thought i would be able to grow stuff as im not known for my green thumb haha!
I also did my fair share of local travelling, starting with a central coast trip on NYD and then heading south to kiama and nowra, i also hopped on a plane to Melbourne and met the amazing Daisy of NTSFM and Michele from Iron Chef Shellie as well as flying Perth for my first ever blogging conference! boy did i learn heaps and met many bloggers i've only spoken to online!
I also watched multiple sunrises and sunsets at many locations, i don't think i'll ever get sick of it tho!
The most memorable dish of Melbourne. the chocolate bar @ Mr Hives. Dear god this was good!
The perth sunset!
EDB13 stage backdrop
Berry donut van. An essential stop.
Sunrise @ Caves Beach
In the food scene i think 2013 was definitely the year of budget and casual eating with many amazing cafes and ramen joints opening, the introduction of many food trucks and pastries ( eeep! catch up on those posts soon!). a lot of malaysian and korean was also consumed. ( hello Albee's and Jonga Jip!)
and how can i forget the 25 kgs worth of crackling demolished at the sydney food bloggers christmas picnic 2013?
group pic courtesy of simon of SFF
I also did a lot of experiementing in the kitchen, most notably bread making. asian style baked buns, no knead bread from the NY times, bring on them carbs!
2013 was the year of change, i needed to practise what i preach, so i started taking action in improving my health, no drastic changes but small changes like standing at work, walking short distances instead of driving, occasionally making healthier food choices. I also joined a gym and stuck to it. in fact i am still with them and still going strong with my goals of working out 5 days a week. i want them biceps!!! haha!
As the year drew to a close, i dug up my 30 before 30 list again, check out what things i've crossed out!
30 before 30
- Sky diving (didn't do it in 2013 but have completed at the time of publishing this post! i went abseiling tho!)
- Bungee jumping (NZ trip anyone!?!?)
- Travel the world (currently on the radar include Europe, America, Vietnam/laos/Cambodia and Korea, Maldives (I’ll even settle for Fiji!!))
- Get a motorcycle license and/or ride a motorcycle ( not much luck convincing my parents yet)
- Shopping spree splurge, buy an luxury item that I don’t need, just to check it off the list!
Convert my front garden into my own fruit and veggie patch
- Continue to improve my baking skills. Especially my atrocious piping skills!
Have a onsies costume party before I get too oldi hate onsies and i don't think i could do this one, what was i thinking when i was writing this?!!
- Get something published somewhere, in a journal (PHD perhaps? Who am I kidding?) - in progress!
- Learn more about wine and coffee- learnt a fair bit at EDB13 but plenty more to go!
- Learn how to change a flat tyre (been on my list forever, but haven’t needed that skill just yet)
- Ride an elephant
- Go camping, in a tent.
- Swim with dolphins ( thought about crazy things like sharks, but id freak out)/ scuba diving
- Hot air balloon ride
- Watch a meteor shower
- Have a cake stall/market stand of my own be it a weekend thing of pop up.
- Get a job i love ( health promotions, research?)- sorta!
Continue to improve my fitness, perhaps learn a sport/martial arts properly for once.- getting there!
- Explore the rest of Australia
( have only visited the east coast) Adelaide, Tasmania, Uluru and NT to go!
- Pay off my extensive HECs and HELP debt- paid of a bit this year, but am going back to study next year T.T
- make some worthy investments (HA!)
Learn to forgive myself and stop dwelling in the past- i don't think anyone will ever master this but i think i have improved!
- Cook a awesome dinner for my closest and dearests complete with candlelight and white tablecloths etc
- Learn to dance, ballroom? Jazz? (I have no co-ordination what so ever.)
Learn to be more independent- a step forward i think!
- Fly a kite
- Abolish my bad habit of biting off and cutting split ends!
Fall in love with someone wildly inappropriate
So 4 things completed so far.... hrrm need to pick up my game!
and because it is a recap, the corny new years resolutions for 2014 have to make an appearance:
-continue my fitness regime. i'm thinking of trying out brazilian jujitsu, anyone interested?!?!
- be less stingy (haha i AM asian after all...) money is for spending!
- actually make more time for family and friends instead of just saying so
- working towards being a better ME
-stress less over tiny things
-since im going back to studying, study hard and do my best instead of my usual half-hearted studying!
Here are some more highlights and happy snaps from 2013!
- home cooking
asides bread making i experimented a lot in the kitchen this year, such as gnocchi making, jars and jars of salted caramel (oh yes!) and chestnut puree, roast pork with epic crackling ( be still my heart!) and laksa to name a few.
last but not least, i have to thank all my readers, family and friends for all their support and their tolerance, thank you for being part of my awesome 2013.
cheers to a even better 2014!
(Belated) Happy new year!
lots of love,